Thursday, May 22, 2008

A Day Away...

Well friends my school year is almost over! It has been a doozie!!!! As a teacher you have those years that are great and some that are not so great. It may not be one specific child that makes it a doozie, it may be the whole class dynamic. Well this year, in my case, it was both! I had a few very challenging students. I had one very angry child who had a reason to be angry. Her homelife is truly sad!!!! At least 10 people tattled on her everyday!!!! I honestly believed every person who told on her. She was B A D!!!!! Hopefully her mom will choose a father-figure for her children and stick with him!!!! On to my next challenge......my special friend for the year!!!! This child is the most adorable thing to look at! A couple of hours in to my first day of school I realized that adorable was not so adorable after a while!!!! I have had a special friend in my classroom every year since I have been teaching! I think I end up with the special needs children because I seem to have patience at school. Don't get me wrong, I love them dearly! My friend this year was autistic. This disorder is different in every child. It is amazing the gifts that these children have. Even though some days I literally wanted to turn in my "apple", I will definitely remember the good days. At the end of another school year, I am faced with the question inside my head, "Do these kids really learn anything from me?" Well two days ago several letters were put in my box. They were from sixth graders who were graduationg from elementary school and one was from a mom of a sixth grade autistic child that I tought in fourth grade. The words in these letters were thanking me for being a teacher they would always remember! What great timing did God have in giving me the words that I needed to hear! So now a day away from summer, from freedom, I rest knowing that I do impact the lives of these little ones in a positive way! I leave you with the website the mom left me in her letter. It is a tribute to me and the other teachers that have touched her sons life! Happy Summer!
www.youtube.com
search:poodleheadpeg
click on: "You Helped Me Become Me"

1 comment:

Val said...

Carrie Hill Dobson...you have REALLY not updated this ALL summer!?!!?!? Goodness.